High Demand for Plastic Surgery Asian ‘Upgrades’ in Vietnam
So much more than Gangnam Style, Korea is also known for their K-POP; It is more than a musical genre. It is everything you want in a musical group; it has music, choreography and fashion – all rolled up in a one complete package, sent from Korea. Ask any fan from neighbouring Asian countries and they would agree that Korea makes it to the top of the list when it comes to popularity in cosmetic surgery.
But, there is also a high demand of beauty ‘upgrades’ in Vietnam. Averaging at 100,000 cases each year, Ho Chi Minh City is to Vietnam what Seoul is to South Korea. According to the Ho Chi Minh City Society of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, favoured procedures for men include double eyelid surgery, eyebrow surgery and facial skin smoothing. For women, their favourites include asian breast augmentation and nose surgery, among others.
High Expectations and Excessive Demands
As stated by Tuoi Tre Newspaper, among 2,500 customers, only 654 were carried out by surgeons who agreed to put their customers under the knife. Why is this so? It wasn’t due to technical or troubles with techniques, but unrealistic expectations and excessive demands from customers.
According to Surgeon Cao Ngoc Bich, the vice head of the Ho Chi Minh City Society of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, only but 20 percent of customers clearly know what they need to ‘improve’ while the remaining 80 percent misunderstand cosmetic surgery as a ‘magic wand’ that will transform them into an entirely new person. Though cosmetic surgery can do wonders, there are still limitations and implications that will come from cosmetic surgery. This is what the 80 percent do not seem to realize; they have high expectations and excessive demands. But, this high demand for plastic surgery Asian 'upgrades' is not only limited to Vietnam alone.
The culture of Korean plastic surgery procedures is not unlike that in Vietnam; many fans in Korea or in neighboring Asian countries and beyond, desire to look like their idol. It is one thing to want to better your physique, but it is another altogether to want to literally get rid of yourself, how you are right now. Going under the knife can indeed do amazing things, but only under the right circumstances. Is it really worth it to jump straight into the action, but put your health and natural beauty at risk?
To think of your body as a commodity, needing an ‘upgrade’ – may do more damage in the long run. Why? Because of complacency and carelessness. For those aged 40-50, who may suffer from high blood pressure, heart disease and, or diabetes, there is a higher risk for complications during surgery. To avoid these complications, going through thorough tests is one such preliminary step in preparation for the big day. To avoid unwanted surprises and for a smooth recovery, we think that the best course of action is to take the time for the necessary preparations, do your own research and figure out the best plan for your individual case.