What is a breast augmentation?
The breast is the most profound anatomy on a woman’s body. With that comes a certain expectation of perfection.
It is generally said that many women are unsatisfied with their breasts. One approach to alter the breast is by having a breast augmentation (enhancement) procedure.
Breast augmentation surgery
Breast augmentation surgery is the fastest and most common cosmetic procedure to improve the breasts. It is an aesthetic enlargement of the breasts, usually with prosthetic devices known as breast implants.
This technique is the insertion of the implants through a natural crease in the armpit. This approach is more difficult for the surgeon to master, but is worth the extra training since it leaves no scar on the breast or the chest wall. The technique is particularly sought after by Asian women because of their tendency to scar poorly.
Important features women need to consider
When it comes to breast augmentation surgery, there are several key differences that need to be considered during planning and surgery. These are taken into account when choosing the style, size and type of implant as well as the choice of technique used to place it. Some of the important unique features women need to consider are:-
- Skin type & quality
- Asian skin has a variable amount of pigmentation, elasticity and thickness which can influence implant choice. There is a need to allow for the anticipated increase in cup size.
- Breast characteristics & shape
- Asian women tend to have smaller breasts that are surrounded by a tight skin envelope. The operation is therefore often one of shape rather than absolute size.
- Nipple Size
- Many Asian women complain of large nipples which often become more apparent after breast feeding. If nipple size is a problem, a nipple reduction or reshaping procedure may be a consideration during the breast augmentation.
- Incision site care
- Asian patient's skin may hyper pigment i.e. go dark in and around the incision placed during a breast augmentation procedure. Post-operative scar care is therefore critical to ensure a great result.
Modern Day Implants Are Safe
Modern day breast implants have a good safety record . Tighter regulations and rigorous checks by health authorities have ensured this popular surgical technique and the implants used are safe.
The claim in the early 90’s that implants were associated with various body disorders is now known to be untrue (backed by extensive research). These days, the combination of technically sound implants, together with their lack of potential to cause body disorders makes the modern day implant a safe device.
Breast Surgery in Korea
Breast surgery in Korea is renowned to suit Asian women. Korean plastic surgeons are accustomed to the Asian female body with body proportions very much considered, thus resulting in breasts that appear natural.
To a large extent safety then depends upon the experience, technical skill and care of your surgeon. This is where the choice of clinic and surgeon is imperative for a successful and safe outcome.